Kale and Rice Chowder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 bag leaves
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced stewed tomatoes (unsalted) or fresh tomatoes **
- 2 cups organic vegetarian broth (Low Sodium) (whole foods market) or homemade broth
- 2 cups chopped organic kale (Lacinato is a dark green kale and delicious in this soup)
- 1 cup cooked or baked brown rice (Brown Basmati or a golden medium grain)
- 1 cup garbanzo beans (cooked dried garbanzos or organic canned)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, pepper, and leeks.
- Saute’ for 2 minutes.
- Add almonds, paprika, bay leaves, water, tomatoes, and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the kale, rice and garbanzo beans.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
- Note: to bake rice – 1 cup brown Basmati rice to 2 cups water.
- Bake @ 350 for 30 – 35 min. Basmati has a wonderful aroma and tastes rather ‘nutty.’ The medium grain golden or brown Jasmine rice is good.
- ** Lois Emerson discovered the Organic Eden brand crushed Roma tomatoes in a jar are excellent. They are definitely better than canned tomatoes.